Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Woman that I Am





Billy Jean Cook
Jeanette Carpathia Jones

"Guided by my heritage of a love for beauty and a respect for strength -- in search of my mother's garden, I found my own."
-- Alice Walker, "In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens"

Being home with my momma has brought up so many memories and feelings for me, and with Mother's Day just around the corner, I started to reflect on my Mother, and her mother (my grandmother) and my relationships with them. Being a mother myself, I find so much of these two woman in me, and the way that I look at the world, and interact with it. Both of these woman were hard workers, fantastic cooks, gardeners, kept immaculate homes, and yards. My love for crafting was inspired by them as well. Grandma was great with a sewing machine, and my mothers crochet was so beautiful. She made doilies, trimed tea towels, made afghans for all her kids and grandkids. I have been inspired to work hard for my family as they did for theirs. For these gifts I am so greatful, it is these gifts that surface in me from time to time. I was an adopted child (adopted as a 6 month old infant), and these women loved me like there was a blood bond. Another thing that I have learned from them is, there is always room for the love of a child, whether they come from your loins or not.

Thank you Billie Jean & Jeanette Carpathia for loving me, and leading me to my own garden

1 comment:

Leaon Mary said...

What a beautiful tribute dear Paula!
I'm thanking your Momma for the woman you are as well.
GOD BLESS YOU SWEET SISTER!
HOLYKISSES,
Lea
(I LOVE the pic of the two of you! You are both gorgeous!) Like mother like daughter. ;)